Loose Strife

An MP3 blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

#21 - Hi, I'm back

"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" – Nick Drake

It’s been a long time, I know. We haven’t spoken since I returned from Berlin last week. Thanks for remembering me.

Looking back at my last post, I was a little shocked to see that I invoked Jesus Christ. I was raised Catholic---not too enthusiastically by anyone involved---but I did the First Communion and Confirmation deal, and went to confession a few times as a kid (at a certain point, it would have become too time-consuming). And I must now confess that I never really developed a relationship with The Guy.

So it was odd that I should beseech Him.

Nick Drake, the ‘70s British folkie, probable suicide, and musical patron saint of sad-sack aesthetes, would make more sense. Above, a Dylan cover from a 1968 (or '69) tape Drake supposedly made for his Mom shortly before recording his fiercely gorgeous debut Five Leaves Left. A nice thing, that; I further confess haven't burned my Mom a disc since her hairplugged dick of a boyfriend began jocking me for Tupac back catalog. Anyway, this track has turned up on various bootlegs; the one I have is called The Complete Home Recordings.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a small Nick Drake medallion that I could wear around my neck to worry between my thumb and forefinger in difficult times? Maybe I should look into manufacturing one? I bet they’d sell well---certainly give St. Christopher a run for his money in my little corner of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home